Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Fans

Ok, so I have a question to ask. What is up with Drum Corps fans?

Some fans are great. They clap for every corps, and they know when each corps has a special moment and they will yell, clap, and give a standing ovation at the end of each show. This is the fan that I strive to be. I believe each corps has a special moment within their show. I can tell most of these because I choke up, and start to cry. Same way as when I hear the National Anthem (seriously every time) As I have said before, I do have a favorite corps, but I don't want to announce which corps it is. I do have something that I love about every corps. Maybe I will talk about that after the season.

Right now though I want to talk about the fans that route against other corps. I just don't get it. These corps work their butts off all summer long, and to openly hope that they fail so that your corps can win, it doesn't make sense to me. Plus when you go onto other corps site to say things against them on their scores.

Has anyone watched the Facebook, or Instagram account of all the corps? They are all friends. They take pics of combined corps, they know kids from the other corps because of college. They don't have any hatred towards other corps, so why should the fans?

Drum Corps is not like the NFL, or NBA where the athletes are getting paid, they pay their own way, and give up their summers to put on shows for us, for band geeks that have grown up. We need to respect that and act accordingly. Clap at EVERY show. Give standing ovations if you feel the show deserves it. Just be a fan.


No comments:

Post a Comment